Gull Law Chamber’s Seminar in Aberdeen University, Scotland

Labour party Eid Ul Fitr celebration in Hilton Hyde park
August 2, 2014

Gull Law Chamber’s Seminar
in Aberdeen University, Scotland

Gull Law Chambers Solicitors conducted a Seminar on 26th May 2014 on the point of law at Aberdeen University. Barrister, Riaz Gull delivered his lecture where his main focus was to clarify the aspects of Business Visas and Work Visas. Mr Gull explained in detail the requirements for making a Sponsor License application which entitles companies to recruit people by offering a Work Visa.

Mr Gull explained what the responsibilities of an employer that holds a sponsor license are. The seminar was also focused on the immigration categories; Tier 2 (General), Tier 2 (Religious Minister) and Tier 2 (Sports person). Temporary work permits were also covered in the seminar for people who wish to work in the United Kingdom for a shorter period of time, i.e. Tier 5 (Creative and Sporting), Tier 5 (Religious Worker) and Tier 5 (Charity Worker).


Aberdeen University, Scotland

Aberdeen University, Scotland


Mr Gull also explained the requirements and the principals for making an application under the immigration categories Tier 1 (Investor) and Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) and also extension applications for people who are already in the United Kingdom in the aforementioned categories. After the lecture there was a question and answer session from the seminar attendees:

1. Sir, I have a restaurant with a take-away service; can I apply for a Sponsor License?
Yes, you are entitled to make a Sponsor License as a restaurant. You must simply make the application online and provide sufficient documents as per the requirements by post within the requisite time frame.

2. Sir, I am doing a PHD, I have passed the first 2 years and I am now in my third year; can I switch for the Business Visa?
Yes, you are entitled to switch in the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) category so long as you meet the requirements for this category, i.e. you must have access to £200,000, these funds must be in a regulated financial institution and disposable in the United Kingdom. You must also be able to meet the maintenance requirement and also the English language requirement.

3. I am a student in the UK doing my PHD and I have been in the UK since 2006 and my wife got a work permit for 5 years, can I make an in-country application and switch as her dependant?
Yes, as your partner will now be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you are entitled to apply as her spouse in the United Kingdom. You must illustrate that you are in a genuine and subsisting relationship, able to satisfy the English Language requirement and also the financial requirement.

4. I have just set up a new IT company, would I be able to make a Sponsor License? And what documents do I need to provide?
Yes, you are entitled to apply for a Sponsor License as a newly established company. You must provide at least 4 documents to support your application, the mandatory documents are a letter from your bank confirming your account and type of business you are in and also your latest bank statements. Aside from this, you must provide at least 3 additional documents that are prescribed on the guidance.

5. Sir, I am running a estate agent and I have been allocated 2 Certificates of Sponsorship, I have already recruited 2 people and wish to employ someone else, can I be allocated more Certificates of Sponsorship?
Yes, you can employ another person but you need to request a further allocation of certificates of sponsor using the Sponsorship Management System and once you are allocated more certificates of sponsorship, you are entitled allocate your new allocation to your new recruit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *